The focus of our Academic English course is to introduce you to English for academic purposes and support you in reaching the level of English language you need to study in English in a university. The course develops and consolidates your existing knowledge of English vocabulary as well as your grammar and English language skills. Students will also be trained to use academic lexis whilst being introduced to key study skills such as critical thinking, longer writing exercises and delivering presentations in English.
Our Academic English course is taught by and friendly teachers who will give you the individual attention you need with regular one-to-one tutorials. You will have the chance to practise your spoken English in discussions, debates, role-play, pair work and seminars. You’ll also have the opportunity to improve your levels of academic English by listening to lectures, note taking and reading longer and more complex texts as well as writing university style essays. By enrolling in an English for academic purpose course, your future studies will be a lot more straightforward.
All students must take an entrance test for this course to ensure they are in the right class for their personal level of English. Weekly assessments help us track your progress to ensure you improve and reach your goals.
This Academic English course is suitable for students whose first language is not English who are preparing to go to university where English is the main language, who are looking to improve their English language and academic skills for their future university studies.
- Knowledge and practice of grammar, structure and vocabulary
- Listening to long, authentic extracts
- Reading complex texts
- Speaking on complex topics, giving presentations and participating in group discussions
- Writing semi-formal letters, informal e-mails, extended answers to open questions, essays, reports and proposals
- Introduction to how to organise paragraphs, reference primary and secondary resources, and how to paraphrase and summarise a text
- UK cultural studies
- Improve academic reading, writing, listening and speaking skills in English
- Express opinions and develop ability to engage in basic discussions on complex themes
- Give presentations and participate in group discussions
- Improve your study skills and learn how to think critically
- Gain an insight into the culture and expectations in a university in an English-speaking country
- Regular assessments and tutorials
- SMART Learning trips and activities around the city to help your English progress faster
- End of course Certificate of Attendance
- Free Wi-Fi
- Welcome pack
- Student ID card
- Kitchenettes in all centres
- Snacks and drinks machines
- 24/7 emergency number
- City-switch, meaning you can start your course in one city and finish it in another giving you the opportunity to discover more of the UK
English electives to fast track progress
Elective classes will intensify your learning experience and speed up your progress with learning the English language. You can add up to two electives to your core course, to give you an even quicker and deeper grasp of the English language. Choose from:
Improve your spoken English with this elective class. Learn all the conversation skills you need to feel confident when speaking in English with others.
Learning about English language punctuation, structure, spelling and vocabulary will improve your overall English language skills. This elective focuses on learning writing skills through emails and text messages etc.
Focus on the essential English language skills required in all four IELTS test papers, to help you get the score you need.
Improve your Academic English for your future university studies, learn how to write longer, university style essays, make presentations and more.
Why choose The Language Gallery?
8+ years of providing language courses
Award-winning language school
CELTA (or equivalent) qualified teachers
Weekly progress testing
City centre locations
100% of students would recommend us to a friend*
*June 2019 student feedback, Birmingham centre, 14 students.
“The school is absolutely fantastic! The teaching process is definitely the best I’ve ever seen and the teachers are true professionals at their jobs. I recommend everyone study at this school!”
“I think I will have lifelong friendships with the people I have met here. “
“I enjoy the special activities that TLG offers, like SMART Learning where I can socialize and meet other people that are not in my class. I have been able to make friends with people from a lot of different countries.”
Beodeul, South Korea
“TLG team makes you feel welcome the first day you arrive. Everybody is so nice and helpful!”
You also might be interested in:
At The Language Gallery, you can choose from different types of English language courses and combine classes to make your language learning more intensive.
These courses will help you to develop the academic skills needed to complete a degree in the UK and settle into an academic environment before starting your studies.
We want to make sure that you have a good experience in your home away from home. Each city offers its own accommodation options to meet your comfort and budget needs.
Enjoy the diverse range of attractions on offer across London, Nottingham and Birmingham. You and your classmates can go on different trips, outings and events in the cities while practising your English.