Every year thousands of football fans from across the world make a pilgrimage to Liverpool in order to watch the side in action, but now budding stars from across the world are heading to the city for a different reason – to brush up on their English language skills.
Liverpool FC’s partnership with The Language Gallery is drawing the attention of young football fans from around the globe. The youngsters travel to bespoke training facilities a short distance from the stadium to benefit from both the world-class training and tailor-made English courses, using the international understanding of the sport to help them master the language.
So popular is the programme among children aged 12-17, that they are flocking not just from football heartlands in Spain, France and Italy - but also from China and the Middle East in order to get a flavour of British sport, get expert training and work on their English at the same time.
Nicolas Gabaldon Molina is one such student. His hometown of Valencia is football-mad, but he chose to come to Liverpool as the opportunities were just not available elsewhere. Nicolas says “In Spain, we all live and breathe football. I’ve played it all my life and dream of playing professionally one day- so the opportunity to train with coaches from one of the most famous clubs in the world is unbelievable.
“I like the way we talk through our exercises in English, so you hardly notice you’re learning.”
Ross Stuart Metherell, Director of Sports and Corporate Programmes at The Language Gallery, says: “Liverpool FC is an iconic club and cultural institution recognised around the world. By working with them in such a stimulating, challenging and engaging environment, we have the perfect chance to help young people improve both their language and sports skills with new friends."
“We offer something that isn’t available elsewhere, and the calibre of our students is hugely impressive. It’s great to work with students of all levels of footballing and linguistic ability, as everyone thrives from seeing the improvement they make over the programme. However the most important thing is that everyone gets involved and has a great time."
020 3772 2665
020 3772 2697
Notes to Editors:
Liverpool Football Club
• Founded in 1892, Liverpool FC is one of the world’s most historic and famous football clubs having won 18 League Titles, seven FA Cups, eight League Cups, five European Cups, three UEFA Cups, three European Super Cups and 15 Charity Shields
• As a socially responsible club, Liverpool FC is proud of its heritage and plays a proactive role in its communities through its official charity, Liverpool FC Foundation. By delivering a range of award-winning programmes, the Foundation motivates and inspires children and adults, both at home and overseas, using football and the power of the Liverpool FC badge. Its contribution has been recognised by the award of a Community Mark from Business In The Community
• Liverpool FC is a global brand and works with leading edge commercial partners around the world providing unparalleled commercial opportunities.
• Liverpool FC International Academy operates coaching programmes around the world, providing opportunities for young players to learn to play The Liverpool Way. Further information can be viewed at www.liverpoolfc.com/soccerschools
The Language Gallery
• The Language Gallery (TLG) delivers high quality language courses at a number of locations worldwide. With campuses in London, Oxford, Manchester, Birmingham, Dublin, Hannover and Toronto, we pride ourselves on our internationalism and our interactive approach to the learning process. All of our facilities are conveniently located at the centre of the cities in which they are located.
• Our small class sizes enhance individual learning as you can benefit from personalised attention from teachers. The strong sense of community at each location means you will have no problems settling in, whichever destination you choose.