Our General English course is designed for those currently at Beginner A1 to Upper Intermediate B2+ level who want to improve their knowledge of the English language, pronunciation, accent and confidence. By taking this English language course you will develop your practical English communication skills in speaking and writing as well as reading and listening and, of course, your fluency and grammatical accuracy. You will increase your confidence when using your language skills in English for everyday use, whether it’s for work, study, travel or personal interest.
Our friendly and supportive teachers will give you the individual attention you need with regular one-to-one tutorials. You will have the chance to practise your spoken English in discussions, debates, role-play and pair work, and learn to use English in everyday situations. The course will help you by teaching you the skills you can use in your everyday life in the UK.
Our placement test will make sure you are in the most suitable English language class for your level. You will also be able to track your progress with weekly assessments. If you want to improve your English language skills faster and progress more quickly, you can add 4 or 6 hours of extra elective classes a week (listed below).
This General English language course is suitable for anyone aged 18+ at Beginner A1 level or higher, who is interested in improving their general English language skills for everyday life and conversation and wants to feel more confident when speaking in English with others.
- Expand your vocabulary to improve everyday conversation skills
- Practise writing different types of texts such as letters, emails, stories and short essays
- Listen to different accents, develop and adopt different techniques to aid comprehension
- Practise pronunciation of individual sounds, intonation, rhythm and stress
- Learn how to use a dictionary effectively
- Work in a team and take part in group projects
- Practise basic presentation skills: leading and participating, using visual aids
- Improve English reading, writing, listening and speaking skills
- Improve English pronunciation, grammar and study skills
- Expand your English vocabulary
- Learn to use strategies and techniques to develop all English language skills to make the maximum amount of progress
- Gain confidence in English-speaking environments and when interacting with other English speakers
- Regular assessments and tutorials
- SMART Learning trips and activities around the city to help your English progress faster
- End of course Certificate of Attendance
- Free Wi-Fi
- Welcome pack
- Student ID card
- Kitchenettes in all centres
- Snacks and drinks machines
- 24/7 emergency number
- City-switch, meaning you can start your course in one city and finish it in another giving you the opportunity to discover more of the UK
English electives to fast track progress
Elective classes will intensify your learning experience and speed up your progress with learning the English language. You can add up to two electives to your core course, to give you an even quicker and deeper grasp of the English language. Choose from General English or IELTS Electives.
Why choose The Language Gallery?
8+ years of providing language courses
Award-winning language school
CELTA (or equivalent) qualified teachers
Weekly progress testing
City centre locations
100% of students would recommend us to a friend*
*June 2019 student feedback, Birmingham centre, 14 students.
"I'm so happy to have chosen this school! My English is so much better than before. I feel so confident speaking English now."
"I've learned a lot at TLG. Teachers are always kind and listened to my concerns. I've really enjoyed talking to my classmates! I was able to learn about different cultures."
"I really loved the school...I felt encouraged during the classes and I loved the homework."
"Studying at The Language Gallery was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. I’ve enjoyed every single second I spent in the school. The subjects we studied in classes, school trips we’ve been on and activities we did between classes were well planned and really fun. Every member of the staff was friendly and helpful. Thanks to everyone for making me feel like I was home even though I was thousands of miles away."
You also might be interested in:
At The Language Gallery, you can choose from different types of English language courses and combine classes to make your language learning more intensive.
These courses will help you to develop the academic skills needed to complete a degree in the UK and settle into an academic environment before starting your studies.
We want to make sure that you have a good experience in your home away from home. Each city offers its own accommodation options to meet your comfort and budget needs.
Enjoy the diverse range of attractions on offer across London, Nottingham and Birmingham. You and your classmates can go on different trips, outings and events in the cities while practising your English.